Organised by the African Automobile Clubs and the International Automobile Federation (FIA), the first rally attracted 32 participants in 1951.
Others followed until the 5th rally in January 1961, for which the itinerary was amended for political reasons. The route was transformed into Algiers-Bangui and back. Amongst the organising vehicles, the TPK 4.20 from Ateliers Legueu de Meaux was specially equipped as a sweeper vehicle assigned to radio communications. Its 80 horsepower Perkins diesel engine, which gave it a long range, and wheelbase of 3.30 m made it ideally adapted to the rough desert conditions.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION…
Magazine : Charges utiles magazine (Useful Loads magazine), N°67
Video about the 1951 rally : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXuav7d-Z_U